In Part 1 of the article we talked about the basics of creating a photography website in Part 2 we will discuss setting up WordPress the backbone of this photography website. We will talk about the simple install of WordPress that is offered by most hosts which will be discussed later in this article but first, the old school method which may need to be used on hosts that support WordPress but don’t have one click installs luckily this very rare nowadays.
To install WordPress manually your host will still need to support PHP and MySQL, PHP is a scripting language WordPress uses, Mysql is the database WordPress uses.
1. First of all you will need to go to http://wordpress.org and download WordPress, WordPress.org also have an installation guide which may prove useful this can be downloaded at https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress.
2. For this tutorial, we have created a directory of the website called demo1 the URL is http://beingtherephoto.co.uk/demo1 this is the directory where WordPress will be installed you can choose where to install WordPress.
3. In your host panel, a MySql database needs to be created. Be sure to make a note of the database name, database user and password as these will be all needed later.
4. Upload the files you downloaded from WordPress in step 1 using an FTP client such as FileZilla. The directory structure should look like something like below. On the directory you decide to upload your installation to should have the correct permissions set, this can usually be set through your hosting partners control panel the permissions should be 775
5. Browse to the install directory using your internet browser, you should be greeted with an install screen like below image. Press lets go button
6. Fill in the database name, username and password that was created in step 3. The database host and table prefix boxes may not need to be changed. Your internet host can advise on what database host should be if not localhost. Press submit button.
7. Click the install button
8. Fill in details on the install screen, make note of username and password. And click the install button.
9. You have now successfully created your WordPress site and you can login to your admin panel.
Automated script method of installing WordPress.
Thankfully WordPress installs for many people is now much simpler as many internet hosts have made installing WordPress a breeze using one click installs. This is how to do it on Names.co.uk although most other hosts offer similar methods of installs.
1. We will be installing WordPress into a folder called demo2 full URL http://beingtherephoto.co.uk/demo2
2. Go to control panel and select Scripts & 1-Click Installs and select the click here link
3. Select the WordPress Icon and select the install button
4. Fill in all fields, pay attention to the directory you wish WordPress to be installed in. If you leave it blank WordPress will installed into your route domain i.e. www.mydomain.com and if you install it in directory ‘mydirectory’ the web address would be www.domain.com/mydirectory